opencdk under LGPL

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sat Jan 19 14:18:43 CET 2008

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> writes:

> On Monday 14 January 2008, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>> Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> writes:
>> > Can't we revert the gnutls_openpgp_privkey_sign_hash change, and
>> > introduce a new gnutls_openpgp_privkey_sign_hash2 instead?  That will
>> > avoid breaking the ABI again for the 2.4 release, which I think would be
>> > a good thing.
>
> Of course. However since this is in the development branch there is no
> problem yet. Let's wait until the openpgp changes are stabilized and
> then I'll check whether it is possible to maintain compatibility via
> compat.c.

I think we should revert these changes in the trunk:

gnutls_openpgp_privkey_sign_hash: MODIFIED to account for keyid
gnutls_openpgp_keyring_check_id: MODIFIED to account for new keyid type
gnutls_openpgp_crt_get_key_id: MODIFIED to account for new keyid type
gnutls_openpgp_privkey_get_id: RENAMED to gnutls_openpgp_privkey_get_key_id
gnutls_openpgp_keyid_t type difference

If we do this, we can release a 2.3.1 with the new openpgp support
libgnutls soon, which would be a good step forward.

I think breaking backwards ABI compatibility within the development
series is fine, so if we need to modify an API that was introduced in
2.3.x we can and should do so before 2.4.0 is released.  I hope 2.4.0
will be ABI backwards compatible with 2.2.x.

/Simon