GnuTLS 2.3.15 - fourth and final (?) release candidate for 2.4.0
simon at josefsson.org
Sun Jun 15 23:59:45 CEST 2008
Version 2.3.15 will hopefully be the final release candidate for the
next stable release v2.4.0. Please test v2.3.15 as if it were a stable
release! I'm cc'ing help-gnutls as well, to reach wider audience.
Please report problems to gnutls-devel only.
See below for the v2.4.0 release notes, comments and suggestions are
This weekend is Midsommar in Sweden, and I'm leaving town on Thursday,
thus expect the final 2.4.0 release on Thursday.
Here are the compressed sources:
Here is the Windows binaries:
Thanks to Enrico Tassi, we also have mingw32 *.deb's available:
Major end-user visible changes compared to the v2.2 branch:
* The PSK sub-system has been improved and now supports password
derivation and PSK identity hints.
The password derivation algorithms support is documented in
* The certtool --inder and --outder has been replaced by --inraw and --outraw.
This aligns terminology with OpenPGP, which doesn't use DER
encoding. The old parameters will continue to work for some time.
* Certtool now confirm passwords and changes permissions of private key files.
* The default handshake size limit has been increased to 48kb.
It appears as if some valid handshakes are large due to sending many
CA certificates. (The earlier limit was 16kb.)
* LZO compression is now disabled by default.
The main reason is that LZO compression in TLS is not standardized,
but license compatiblity issues with minilzo triggered us to make
this decision now.
* Improvements for cross-compilation to Windows and OpenWRT.
* The look of the GTK-DOC manual has been improved.
Major developer visible changes compared to the v2.2 branch:
* Full OpenPGP support is part of libgnutls, licensed under the LGPL.
* New APIs to access the raw X.509 Subject and Issuer DN's and
elements from the certificate credentials structure, thanks to Joe
* New APIs to improve working with username/passwords and PSK.
* Names of constants to affect certificate printing changed.
The constants are used for OpenPGP too, which the names didn't
reflect, so the following name change has been made:
Old name New name
The old names will be mapped to the new names for some time.
* The function gnutls_openpgp_privkey_get_id has been renamed to
* Replaced all uses of alloca with malloc and free.
* We no longer build with -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE.
We have been unable to find a documented rationale for this
Of course, many smaller fixes have been made, see the ChangeLog file.
API/ABI changes in GnuTLS 2.4
All OpenPGP functions have been moved from libgnutls-extra to
libgnutls, and several new functions have been added (see below).
Before making the release, we discussed whether moving functions from
libgnutls-extra to libgnutls would require us to increment the ABI
version, but the general opinion was that this would not be required.
All older functions continue to work the same. We are open to the
possibility that this decision will lead to problem on some platform,
and if it turns out that the Right Thing should have been to increment
the shared library version, we would need to release an update within
the 2.4.x branch that increments the shared library version.
This release adds the following functions:
Used to get/set the PSK identity hint, and derive PSK keys from
passwords a'la netconf.
Used to handle X.509 Certificate DN's directly.
Converts a data buffer to hex. Useful for handling PSK/SRP shared
Functions for direct access to credential elements.
New OpenPGP related functions.
The function gnutls_openpgp_crt_get_key_id is the same as the old
from gnutls_openpgp_crt_get_id, see above.
The release also adds a new header file 'gnutls/crypto.h', however it
is currently not used.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 419 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Gnutls-devel