releasing LGPL version of opencdk?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Mar 12 08:59:17 CET 2008

Timo, all,

I think we need to release a stand-alone version of the stripped down
opencdk under the LGPLv2 license.  The only problem appears to be the
name of that library.

Timo, do you want opencdk to continue be the name for your "complete"
package with all code?  If so, we have to rename the LGPLv2 version to
libminiopencdk, libopencdk-lite, libopencdk-gnutls, libgnutls-opencdk,
libgnutls-pgp or something similar (suggestions welcome).

Another option is to make the LGPLv2 code be the new "complete" version
of OpenCDK (and call it version 0.7.0).

I must admit that I don't really know what differs (which API functions)
between the complete opencdk and the stripped down copy.  I also do not
know if any package except GnuTLS really uses OpenCDK.  And in
particular whether they need the features present in the complete
package that are not present in the stripped down version.

I'd be happy to take the current lib/opencdk/ code in GnuTLS, write
autoconf magic for it, and release it as opencdk-lite.  That seems to be
the simplest way I can make things happen right now.

Ideas and thoughts very welcome.

/Simon