GnuTLS 2.3.11

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue May 20 15:28:52 CEST 2008

The GnuTLS 2.3.x branch is NOT what you want for your stable system.  It
is intended for developers and experienced users.

The goals for the 2.3.x branch are tracked at:

http://trac.gnutls.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/milestone/gnutls-2.4

Alas, the spammers have found our trac site so it is almost useless. :(
Hopefully I can move it to another host soon...  Is anyone interested in
helping to admin it?  Can anyone sponsor a VPS to run this on?  Help!

More ideas are welcome, just create a new ticket.

Here are the compressed sources:
  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.3.11.tar.bz2
  ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.3.11.tar.bz2

Here is the Windows binaries:
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.3.11.exe
  http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/gnutls-2.3.11.zip

New in this release is that the Windows build contains the C++ library
and examples.  I verified that it was able to connect to a server, cool,
at least via Wine.  I have no idea how to use an external C++ DLL from
MSVS, but I guess people interested in that knows how to do it.

Improving GnuTLS is costly, but you can help!  We are looking for
organizations that find GnuTLS useful and wish to contribute back.
You can contribute by reporting bugs, improve the software, or donate
money or equipment.

Commercial support contracts for GnuTLS are available, and they help
finance continued maintenance.  Simon Josefsson Datakonsult, a
Stockholm based privately held company, is currently funding GnuTLS
maintenance.  We are always looking for interesting development
projects.  See http://josefsson.org/ for more details.

News in this release:

* Version 2.3.11 (released 2008-05-20)

** Fix flaw in fix for GNUTLS-SA-2008-1-3.
The flaw would result in incorrectly terminated sessions with the
error "Decryption has failed" when the server sends a small packet
(typically when the session is closed).  Reported by Andreas Metzler
<ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> in
<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.gpg.gnutls.devel/2807>.

** Don't use gnulib headers when building C++ library.
Fixes builds under Windows.

** Make umask a requirement.
We don't know of any system that lacks it, even GNU CoreUtils use it
unconditionally.

** Update gnulib files.
Fixes a problem where it pulled in a replacement for memcmp under
MinGW, which caused the C++ example to fail to build.

** API and ABI modifications:
No changes since last version.

/Simon