Which license is libtasn1-config?

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Oct 8 14:44:59 CEST 2008

Jeff Cai <Jeff.Cai at Sun.COM> writes:

> Sun couldn't ship those files under GPLv3, so if we can't make sure
> whether it is under GPLv3, maybe we have to change the package on
> Solaris.
> But since all files under libtasn1/lib are under LGPLv2, can I assume
> it is under LGPLv2 also?

I don't think anyone will sue you over making that assumption.

> Since version 1.0, some source code has been changed to GPLv3.  As the
> current maintainer, could you also give me an answer about its
> license?

Right now the file doesn't seem to have a clear license.  The
_intention_ was most likely LGPLv2.1+, but it was never encoded
anywhere.

> And if you can't give me an confirmed answer, do you know who changed
> the license to GPLv3 and Can I contact him directly?

I changed the license from GPLv2+ to GPLv3+ on those parts that used
GPLv2+ before.

According to the vc logs, Nikos added libtasn1-config back in 2004.  You
could ask him for the license.  However, I suspect the files were
derived from somewhere else (GnuTLS?  Which in turn may have derived
them from libgcrypt?) so that may require chasing the authors further.

I believe the simplest solution is to remove these files.

/Simon