request for help: openpgp under windows doesn't work

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Tue Sep 16 13:29:19 CEST 2008

"Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos" <n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:58 PM, Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
>> Windows builds of GnuTLS seem to have some problems in the opencdk
>> library, which causes parsing of packets to fail.  This can be seen with
>> the 'pgps2kgnu' self-test, which unfortunately results the same error as
>> if the problem it is supposed to test for exists (I've made sure the s2k
>> patch is still working).  The problem appears to be in the low-level
>> stream reading code in opencdk.
>> It could be that pgp has never worked under Windows, since the pgp self
>> tests have been disabled because of missing fork().  I'm inclined to
>> disable openpgp authentication under windows for the 2.6.x build, and
>> note in the release notes that it doesn't work currently.
>
> I had test the openpgp code in windows a while (year) ago and it
> worked. I had some issues though, functions like tmpfile() could only
> be used if run as administrator in windows. Can it be that case?

I am using wine.  I didn't get a hard failure -- instead I got an EOF at
a surprising position (middle of stream).  Maybe some fseek problem...
I suspected binary vs text too, but it looks like the files are opened
in binary mode.  The idea of using a temporary file seemed somewhat
strange to me, and I'm not familiar with the code so it was hard to
debug.

>> Help in debugging the problem would be appreciated, it is easy to get a
>> windows build and debug it under debian, see
>> <http://josefsson.org/gnutls4win/>.  I tried to do this, but I'm not
>> familiar with opencdk and didn't understand exactly how the code was
>> supposed to work anyway.
>
> I might be able to check it within this week.

Great!

I had to disable the C++ library too, in order to get a Windows build,
because the C++ library depends on having all features present.
Possibly the C++ library could build even if openpgp is missing...
Still, I think we can release 2.6.0 even with this problem.

/Simon