Libtasn1 2.1

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Wed Apr 29 10:54:53 CEST 2009

Jeff Cai <Jeff.Cai at Sun.COM> writes:

> I found that lib/ASN1.c is licensed under GPL v3, is that correct? I
> don't think a LGPLv2 library comes from a GPL v3 source file.

That file is generated by GNU Bison from the LGPLv2+ lib/ASN1.y, and
there is license exception:

/* As a special exception, you may create a larger work that contains
   part or all of the Bison parser skeleton and distribute that work
   under terms of your choice, so long as that work isn't itself a
   parser generator using the skeleton or a modified version thereof
   as a parser skeleton.  Alternatively, if you modify or redistribute
   the parser skeleton itself, you may (at your option) remove this
   special exception, which will cause the skeleton and the resulting
   Bison output files to be licensed under the GNU General Public
   License without this special exception.

   This special exception was added by the Free Software Foundation in
   version 2.2 of Bison.  */

As far as I understand, it is fine to use Bison generated output in a
LGPLv2 project.  But you may want to ask the FSF or a lawyer for further
clarification or an authoritative answer.

/Simon