gnutls_ext_register causing memory corruption

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Mon Jun 8 16:58:00 CEST 2009

Martin von Gagern <Martin.vGagern at gmx.net> writes:

> Hi folks!
>
> There seems to be some evidence that the latest gnutls might be involved
> in instabilities of the adobe flash plugin for mozilla firefox on gentoo
> linux.

Hi.  Interesting but difficult to debug.  The back traces looks weird,
the crash is in the global initialization function.  That function isn't
thread safe, so maybe it is a thread related problem?  Maybe set a
breakpoint on gnutls_ext_register to see if it is called multiple times
by the same process, that would suggest a problem.  However this code is
the same in 2.6.x and 2.8.0, so there must be something else too.

I'll look into this code in gnutls, but to really help on this I need a
simple-to-follow recipe to reproduce the problem.

Alternatively, if you can pin-point what change 2.6.6...2.8.0 introduce
the problem, that would also help -- try installing 2.7.0, 2.7.1, etc
and see when the problem starts to happen.  The final 2.7.9-2.7.14
contain mostly build fixes, so the early 2.7.x's are the interesting
ones.

Thanks,
/Simon