gnutls-cgi (version 2.8.1) on ubuntu 8.04 crashes

Sunil P Khatri sunilkhatri at tamu.edu
Thu Jun 11 00:17:35 CEST 2009

Folks,

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 on a i386. While setting up the
claws-mail client to use IMAP, I systematically got stream
errors and a failure to connect to the IMAP server.

The fine folks at the claws-mail support team diagnosed
this as a gnutls bug. I am using 2.8.1, compiled out of the
source tarball.

Below is a trace to illustrate the problem. The problem
does not occur if I use SSL.

Best regards,
Sunil

(PS If you need to contact me to follow up, please email
me directly. I am not subscribed to the gnutls-devel list)

~> gnutls-cli neo.tamu.edu --port 993
Resolving 'neo.tamu.edu'...
Connecting to '165.91.23.114:993'...
- Certificate type: X.509
 - Got a certificate list of 1 certificates.
 - Certificate[0] info:
  - subject `C=US,ST=Texas,L=College Station,O=Texas A and M
University,OU=Computing and Information Services,CN=neo.tamu.edu',
issuer `C=ZA,ST=Western Cape,L=Cape Town,O=Thawte Consulting
cc,OU=Certification Services Division,CN=Thawte Premium Server
CA,EMAIL=premium-server at thawte.com', RSA key 1024 bits, signed
using RSA-SHA, activated `2009-05-29 19:33:18 UTC', expires
`2012-06-13 14:51:27 UTC', SHA-1 fingerprint
`fe4b9e6c138e3c9b6f236bbcca3cccd04918d9c8'
- The hostname in the certificate matches 'neo.tamu.edu'.
- Peer's certificate issuer is unknown
- Peer's certificate is NOT trusted
- Version: TLS1.0
- Key Exchange: RSA
- Cipher: 3DES-CBC
- MAC: SHA1
- Compression: NULL
- Handshake was completed

- Simple Client Mode:

* OK IMAP4 ready
1 CAPABILITY
*** Fatal error: A TLS packet with unexpected length was received.
*** Server has terminated the connection abnormally.

Thanks!
Sunil