Size of time_t in gnutls4win

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Sun Jun 28 16:54:20 CEST 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:22, simon at josefsson.org said:

> 4) Provide two ABIs for these functions under Windows, and use header
>    file #if's to map the API to the right ABI.

5) Add a new API to GNUTLS which uses a 15 byte string (yyyyddmmThhmmss)
   to express a timestamp.  This helps for the year 2038 problem and
   with some silly certificates which have an expire date set to more
   than 30 years in the future.

We do this in GnuPG because there is no other way to express calendar
dates in a portable way.  Yes, a 64 bit time_t would help but as long as
Ulrich Drepper rejects such a change in glibc, we can't help ourself and
have to resort to this solution.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner