GnuTLS 2.7.10 - release candidate 2 of GnuTLS 2.8.0

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Sun May 17 10:42:03 CEST 2009

Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> writes:

> On 2009-05-14 Andreas Metzler <ametzler at downhill.at.eu.org> wrote:
>> On 2009-05-13 Simon Josefsson <simon at josefsson.org> wrote:
>> > The GnuTLS 2.8.0 release is getting closer; no major problem has been
>> > feedback in 2.7.9 so far.  This is a second release candidate.  Please
>> > test this as if it were the new stable release.  If I don't hear any
>> > complains about regressions compared to 2.6.x I will release this as
>> > 2.8.0 within two weeks.
>
>> It fails to configure if --disable-cxx is set:
>> [...]
>> checking for shutdown... (cached) yes
>> configure: error: conditional "am__fastdepCXX" was never defined.
>> Usually this means the macro was only invoked conditionally.
>> configure: error: ./configure failed for lib
>> [...]
>
>> cu andreas
>
> This seems to be the culprit:
>
> ./lib/configure.ac--------------------
> # Finish things from ../configure.ac.
> AC_SUBST([WARN_CFLAGS])
> AM_CONDITIONAL(ENABLE_CXX, test "$use_cxx" != "no")
> if test "$use_cxx" != "no"; then
>   AC_PROG_CXX
> fi
> -------------------------------------
>
> Running AC_PROG_CXX no matter whether $use_cxx was set makes the error
> go away.[1] I have not got a system without C++ compiler, so I
> cannot say whether this would break compilation there.

We've switched back and forth on this:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnutls.git/commit/?id=e0ed8d655f76b1a856773ed2d5b4155d1d840211
https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?106542

I was able to reproduce your problem. This suggests that AC_PROG_CXX
really cannot be invoked optionally.

I have pushed a patch now:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnutls.git;a=commitdiff;h=4f155e7109699fdf98683549e48142f018f6546e

Looking through the original 106542 bug report, I'm unsure what the real
problem was.  Detecting g++ but never using it does not hurt anything
(except a tiny performance price), as far as I understand.  Daniel, can
you test tomorrow's daily snapshot and see if it works for you?  It
seems clear now that we cannot run AC_PROG_CXX conditionally, so if this
patch does not work for you we need to solve your problem in some other
way.

We'll need another release candidate, I'll prepare it tomorrow.

/Simon