Build + test problems on OpenSolaris (aka Solaris 11)

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Nov 1 16:14:58 CET 2009

I'm trying to build gnutls-2.8.4 on a Sun Ultra 27 running OpenSolaris (aka
Solaris 11). The Ultra 27 has 3.333 GHz Quad core Intel Xeon processor, so is
*not* one of Sun's SPARC processors.

I'm using gcc 3.4.3.

First gnutils-2.8.4  would not build at all, but would give this error message:

inet_ntop                           ex-serv1.o  (symbol belongs to implicit
dependency /lib/libnsl.so.1)
ld: fatal: symbol referencing errors. No output written to ex-serv1

A web search found someone else having the exact same problem on Solaris 10 (not
11).

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bugs/2009/06/17/msg032744.html

A look in the man page for inet_ntop showed:

SYNOPSIS
      cc [ flag... ] file... -lsocket  -lnsl  [ library... ]

so I tried to configure again, this time adding the 'nsl' library.

$ ./configure 'LIBS=-lnsl'

That worked, and the code built ok. But it fails one test.

|<2>| ASSERT: mpi.c:620
|<2>| ASSERT: dn.c:1210
         Verifying...sh: line 10: 18564: Memory fault(coredump)
FAIL: chainverify
===================================
1 of 35 tests failed
Please report to bug-gnutls at gnu.org
===================================

I noticed someone else had a problem on Solaris with a test failure, which was
resolved by changing HUGE_VAL to HUGE, but this was thought to be a compiler bug.

http://old.nabble.com/On-dropping--D_REENTRANT--D_THREAD_SAFE-td14620552.html

I do not want to waste your time on this test failures until I have verified it
with a recent version of gcc.

But the requirement to add the library does seem to be necessary with Solaris on
x86 platforms. I think it is x86, rather than Solaris 10 vs 11, as the post
above shows problems with Solaris 10 on x86, but I know Solaris 10 on SPARC has
presented no such issue.

Dave