GnuTLS 2.9.9 - uses non-portable option to grep.

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sun Nov 22 03:38:06 CET 2009

Simon Josefsson wrote:
> The GnuTLS 2.9.x branch is NOT what you want for your stable system.  It
> is intended for developers and experienced users.
>
> Here are the compressed sources (6.1MB):
>   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/gnutls/gnutls-2.9.9.tar.bz2

Well, I'm neither, but I thought I'd give it a try for you on a Sun Ultra 27
running OpenSolaris.

configure: summary of build options:

   version:          2.9.9 shared 42:4:16
   Host type:        i386-pc-solaris2.11
   Install prefix:   /usr/local
   Compiler:         gcc -std=gnu99
   Warning flags:    errors:  warnings:
   Library types:    Shared=yes, Static=yes
   Valgrind:         no
   Guile wrappers:   no
   C++ library:      yes
   OpenSSL library:  yes

PASS: openpgpself
grep: illegal option -- q
Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .
RFC 2253 escaping not working?
FAIL: rfc2253-escape-test
1 of 43 tests failed
Please report to bug-gnutls at gnu.org

-q which is an option to GNU grep is not supported by the standard grep in
Solaris. (There is a POSIX compatible version at /usr/xpg4/bin/grep,  but it is
not the default grep in /usr/bin/grep.)

It would be better to send the output of grep to /dev/null, as that will work on
any grep.

Dave