GnuTLS error -8: A record packet with illegal version was received.

Davies, Joshua Joshua.Davies at travelocity.com
Thu Dec 2 17:49:13 CET 2010

It might also be that the target server only understands SSLv2 (although I did a quick check on my machine using openssl & gnutls-cli, and the error message I get from gnutls-cli is slightly different than what Richard originally reported).

If you can capture the packets that are being exchanged (with tcpdump or ethereal, for instance), I could tell you for sure.