A Question About GNUTLS

Simon Josefsson simon at josefsson.org
Fri Feb 5 13:50:52 CET 2010

"Mohammed Aziz Parande" <parande1 at umbc.edu> writes:

> Hi,
>

> I am a graduate student in the Department of Information Systems at the
> University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). I am doing research in the
> area of software engineering. I would very much appreciate if you could
> answer the following questions of mine:
>

> 1. I was wondering if GNUTLS has gone under any major restructuring/redesign
> initiative in its history. Restructuring/redesign initiative can be defined
> as a concerted effort during a time period in which major changes were
> applied to the code base to improve software architecture/design while
> little or no functional enhancement was made.

I don't recall any major such changes, maybe Nikos can tell more.  There
have been many minor and incremental changes, such as replacing parts
with more portable code from gnulib, or switching to using a separate
configure script in lib/ and libextra/.

> 2. If the project has gone under such an initiative, then would it be
> possible for you to give the dates or revision/release numbers that are
> "right before" and "right after" this structuring effort? I would like to
> checkout the source code from the repository to compare structural
> measurements that belong to "before" and "after" snapshots. Note that the
> dates and revision/release numbers should be right before and right after
> the initiative because I would like to be able to isolate and observe the
> effects of this effort.

The changes that have been made have been fairly incremental and it is
probably difficult to find two releases where there haven't been other
changes too.

/Simon