handshaking takes too long (although, session resuming *seems* to work)

Christian Parpart trapni at gentoo.org
Tue Mar 16 10:58:51 CET 2010

Hey,

i've just implemented SSL in my little web server, however, the
handshaking tooks quite long, so I added session resuming to it (based on
the example code I found in the sources), and added some debug prints to
see whether they're actually invoked.

What I now see, is, that on first (client web browser) connect, a record
gets stored my cache, and on the second call, I successively return this
data back to gnutls, however, the session resuming still takes as much
time as on the first request.

I've tested it on my netbook (quite thin hardware, though), and there it
takes about 2.5 seconds. still too long even without session resuming?
Compared to Apache, even the first request responded quite instant.

But what could the reasons be?

Thanks in advance,
Christian Parpart.