iDevice GnuTLS issue with iOS 4.2 - libimobiledevice

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 06:50:04 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 4:44 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
<nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I'd suggest that you use the priority_set_direct() function. Check the examples
>>> in the gnutls documentation for details. Does gnutls-cli work on the server you
>>> are connecting? What is the output of gnutls-cli-debug?
>> An FYI.... I have not been able to get the examples* to work. I've
>> tried connecting to my Windows 2003/IIS 6 machine, and Simon's host at
>> test.gnutls.org:5556.
>> Usually, gnutls_handshake() fails with one of the following (I do a
>> lot of knob turning on failures). In all cases,
>> gnutls_error_is_fatal() is true.
>
> Which client example did you try?
First example - anonymous client authentication at [1]. I attached my
test code for convenience.

Here are the results on three different servers:
test.gnutls.org: GNUTLS_E_FATAL_ALERT_RECEIVED
www,microsoft.com: GNUTLS_E_FATAL_ALERT_RECEIVED
my tests server (Windows 2003/IIS 6): GNUTLS_E_UNEXPECTED_PACKET_LENGTH

I suspect www.microsoft.com is Server 2008 (nmap -O -v
www.microsoft.com returns "No OS matches for host").

> Could it be a windows issue (examples are written for posix)?
Working on Ubuntu.

> You can check with wireshark the conversation to check if
> there is some communication issue.
OK. I'll get it fired up soon.

Jeff

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/gnutls/manual/html_node/Simple-client-example-with-anonymous-authentication.html#Simple-client-example-with-anonymous-authentication