different lib directories for gnutls and nettle

Brian Gough bjg at gnu.org
Tue Apr 12 15:31:36 CEST 2011

At Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:27:42 +0200,
Niels Möller wrote:
> I'm not sure what the right thing is. Is there any distribution which
> actuallly does what the FHS says? If so, I guess configure needs to
> check what directories exists, and install in lib$ABI whenever that
> directory exists, otherwise in lib. I haven't got around to fixing that.

Hi Niels.

I don't know what is the correct interpretation of the FHS, but by
default all other autoconf'ed and GNU packages always use
libdir=$prefix/lib (with the --libdir option allowing it to be
overridden if someone wants to use lib64 or whatever).

So I'd recommend to use the autoconf default of $prefix/lib, as you
will be in the good company of hundreds of other packages that way.

The distributions already have their own ways of using --libdir on
autoconf'ed packages so you don't need to worry about it yourself.

--
Brian Gough