certificate validation callbacks [was: Re: validating SAN URIs in gntls]

peter williams home_pw at msn.com
Tue Mar 8 15:46:39 CET 2011

SSL was designed according to the doctrine of mutual suspicion (each party assume the other is an active attacker). In the web, active attackers abound: they are called corporate firewalls :-). They take the SSL handshake including the self-signed cert from the browser's client authn, and spoof the browser endpoint to the intended site; presenting perhaps their own self-signed cert (since they cannot sign for the user) pointing in the SAN_URI to their own document.

Its true that the SSL patent (and all the various Netscape/IETF specs) distinguish between TLS protocols and [asymmetric] key management, with the latter being a matter for the application (GNUTLS library consumer). Lets distinguish correctly between the server, and the TLS lib/state. GNUTEST test server is the first such "server", supported by the latest GNUTLS lib.

Thus, it’s the GNUTLS test server (not the library) that is responsible for assuring the [asymmetric] key management - checking the self-signed cert, in this case.  If the server had a "wintrust type interaction" with the library, then server code might go further and do the full webid validation agent steps (or do PKIK PKI, or Netscape cert extensions, or...). As folks state properly, this validation will in the general case need the full ssl state for the connection ( => session) for each sessionid; and the server app needs to be able in any case to order a close, or an alert, or a new full handshake, or a resume.... etc, per sessionid as part of responding to what it determines, during validation of the [asymm] keys.

In the case of webid, that server code (implementing a particular validation model, somehow selected from n of them) has to not only check the self-signed cert, not only confirm pubkey exists in stored remote file, but confirm that the URI is part of an out of bound trust mesh (to address the corporate proxy simply swapping out one self-signed cert pointing to a document, for another).

So, I think I'm in agreement on all points.

1. its server's who do self-signed cert checking (and GNUTLS test server is probably one that should, or else just warn that it hasn’t)

2. its library/server API design that allows server to drive a validation process, for some asymmetric key management design (e.g. PKIX, webid protocol, .next)

3. the SSL state is what the server needs. Arguably, it needs a chain of states, those to which it has access rights because n connections (and their sessions) are all being bound to the very same server (vs TLS) endpoint, in the stack of the entity playing the SSL server-role.