guile testsuite failure (gnutls 3.0.1 and later) and armel and mipsel

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sun Nov 6 22:14:56 CET 2011

On 11/06/2011 09:57 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

>>> Ideally, though, GnuTLS would have a configure check to determine what
>>> _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value Guile is expecting, but I can’t think of any
>>> reliable way to do that.  Ideas?
>>
>> How does the size of off_t affect the gnutls-guile code? Which code
>> does it affect? (could it be written so that it is independent of that
>> size?)
> The file guile/src/core.c contains code that manipulates the scm_t_port
> structure, which is defined by Guile and contains off_t fields.  So the
> gnutls-guile code thinks scm_t_port is 120-byte whereas libguile thinks
> it’s 96-byte long, and more generally they use different field offsets.
> The code that uses scm_t_port in gnutls-guile relates to the “session
> record port” (info "(gnutls-guile) Input and Output").

I don't quite understand the issue. Ok I see access of the structure in
core.c but how is that an issue? Aren't the headers that define
scm_t_port correct? (in systems where is 120-byte to actually define an
120-byte structure and otherwise?). Why would the size of off_t cause
issues if the header is the same in guile and gnutls? Is it a guile
issue or gnutls' guile code?