bug in 3.0.18: gnutls-cli fails to transfer data to gnutls-serv --echo

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Thu Apr 19 15:43:52 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Alexandre Bique
<bique.alexandre at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Hello,
>>  why you think this is a gnutls error? There are other web servers like
>> libmicrohttpd, nxweb or apache's mod_gnutls that as far as I know they
>> have no such issues with firefox or chromium.
> Yep I had a bug in my code, but for the firefox part, it look like you
> can take it down by sending an infinite text file over http, because
> it is keeping every thing in memory.

:)

>> What doesn't work? gnutls-serv is a test server and many things might
>> not work. However this seems unrelated to the above where you mention
>> incompatibility with chromium and firefox. Does gnutls-serv --http
>> work with the browsers you mention?
> I'm digging and you may be right, but I still have an error when
> "cating" a file through openssl s_client  to gnutls-serv --echo:
> openssl s_client ....
> RENEGOTIATING
> 140361428772520:error:140940F5:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:unexpected
> record:s3_pkt.c:1393:

I see a renegotiation request there and gnutls-serv doesn't do that,
so it might be that.
I'll have to check though.  Which was the command you used in openssl
and which openssl
version?

> And I wonder if it is possible to serve large content-length with
> gnutls-serv --http ?

No. It is really a test application. You might want to check one of
the small web servers
using gnutls instead.