GnuTLS 3.0.14 gnutls-serv segfaults when an invalid number is passed to --debug

Matthew Hall mhall at mhcomputing.net
Sat Feb 25 22:23:17 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 11:29:44AM -0800, Bruce Korb wrote:
> On 02/24/12 18:59, Matthew Hall wrote:
> >While investigating some other bugs in GnuTLS I located this bug in the
> >--debug=99999999 option in GnuTLS 3.0.14, which is not present in 3.0.11, due
> >to some changes in the way that GnuTLS seems to handle its CLI options.
> >
> >It is possible the bug is caused by the AutoOpts library.
>
> No, it is caused by the stanza describing the debug option:
>
> flag = {
>     name      = debug;
>     value     = d;
>     arg-type  = number;
>     arg-range = "0 -> 9999";
>     descrip   = "Enable debugging.";
>     doc       = "Specifies the debug level.";
> };
>
> If you request help ("--help" or "-h") it will tell you this,
> as will the man page.

I doubt that the intended behavior in response to an incorrect specification
of the option (said incorrect invocation worked fine in 3.0.11) is a segfault,
and Nikos already replied in agreement with this theory.

I also said that the value I passed to trigger the issue was invalid in the
subject of the thread so that it would be clear I was not trying to claim I
provided good input when I did not do so.

I hope it didn't look like I was saying the whole option did not work, but
only the error handling for bad values.

Regards,
Matthew.