[libmicrohttpd] SSL handshake fails between libcurl and libgnutls/MHD

Christian Grothoff grothoff at in.tum.de
Mon Jan 23 13:58:08 CET 2012

Ok, so here is what I know now:

1) the bug is not in libmicrohttpd or libgnutls as updating/downgrading
these libraries does not change the appearance or non-appearance of the bug

2) The more verbose form of the output (VERBOSE in curl) is:

* About to connect() to 127.0.0.1 port 42433 (#0)
* Trying 127.0.0.1... * connected
* found 153 certificates in /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
* gnutls_handshake() failed: No supported cipher suites have been found.
* Closing connection #0
* SSL connect error
curl_easy_perform failed: `SSL connect error'
Error: received handshake message out of context
Error (code: 4294967295)

3) However, the bug is not because I pick specific ciphers; I can
specify (in GNUtls/OpenSSL-syntax, depending on where) that "all" (or
"export") ciphers are allowed for server & client; the bug is specific
to me specifying the use of SSL3 with curl using CURL_SSLVERSION_SSL3,
with TLS1 the problem does not arise.

4) It is not a bug with the Debian package; compiling 7.23.1 by hand
produces the same issue as the Debian package.

5) The bug is not present in curl 7.22.0 but DOES occur in 7.23.0 and
7.23.1.

I've compiled all of those cURL versions using
./configure --with-gnutls=/usr --prefix=/home/grothoff/ --without-ssl

For the time being, I'm still collecting information about the bug in
our bugtracker at https://gnunet.org/bugs/view.php?id=2086

Happy hacking,

Christian