[gnutls-devel] ipv6 vs ipv4 vs udp

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Mon Apr 8 19:26:17 CEST 2013

NM> UDP is different than TCP because there is no connection.

Of course.

NM> So there is no fallback since connection doesn't fail, it just
NM> timeout. I suppose that even if we tried to resume using ipv4 after
NM> the timeout you notice it would have taken too much time to be a
NM> practical solution.

Trying the next after the timeout was my expectation.

If that takes too long, the original suggestion would work:  -4 and -6
or --ipv4 and --ipv6 command line options to limit to AF_INET or AF_INET6.

Or both in parallel, dropping whichever one doesn't answer first.

I can see how automatic coverage may be preferred when using cli over a
pipe or tty as a substitute for linking, but when using cli at a shell
for testing remote servers/services, explicit command line options are
ideal.

[Having a tough time typing today; hope I didn't miss any typos/thinkos.]

[And appologies for the double post; I stopped my outgoing mta during
the postgres update and forgot to restart it.....]

-JimC