[gnutls-devel] The issue when compiling gnutls-3.2.6.

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Dec 21 20:39:13 CET 2013

On 12/21/2013 07:53 AM, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> I installed the nettle-2.7.1 compiled by myself.

Is there a reason to avoid the version installed from wheezy-backports?

> werner at debian-asus:~$ nettle-hash --version
> nettle-hash (nettle 2.7.1)

and where are these tools installed?  are they in /usr/local/ someplace,
or in your home directory?

> If I installed the self compiled version of nettle 2.7.1 from source, how
> should I tell the guntls use the corresponding nettle-dev files instead
> of the older versions?

it looks to me like gnutls finds the paths for nettle based on the
output of pkg-config, which itself uses the .pc files stored (on debian
at least) in /usr/lib/$archtriple/pkgconfig/*.pc  (e.g. $archtriple
might be x86_64-linux-gnu). Is it possible that your local nettle
compilation failed to place a *.pc file someplace that pkgconfig would
prefer it over your system-installed nettle.pc and hogweed.pc?

	--dkg