[gnutls-devel] end of life of 2.12 and possible relicense on 3.1

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Feb 6 12:40:17 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM, David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> wrote:
> There are some distributions who would still baulk at shipping GnuTLS v3
> even if it's relicensed, because of the EC support.
> This ought to be mostly an educational issue — RFC6090 should have
> settled the matter as far as GnuTLS goes. But legal departments move
> slowly, and GnuTLS v3 wouldn't get into Fedora or Red Hat with EC
> support yet. It would make some sense to make it optional too.

I cannot say what is the current situation with gnutls3 in fedora,
because I don't know. However, the approach is followed in gnutls, is
not to add algorithms that are known to be patented (this doesn't mean
that the code is patent-free, there is no way anyone can guarantee
that). If someone for his own reasons would like to disable some code,
that's fine with me, I'll accept any patches that provide an option
for that code.