[gnutls-devel] BNF of priority strings

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sat Jan 26 14:35:19 CET 2013

On 01/26/2013 01:53 PM, Jouko Orava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a step towards "better" priority string logic,
> I built a BNF spec of the existing priority strings.
>
> Three comments, though:
>
>   1. Since the NULL MAC string is "MAC-NULL",
>      it has to be specified as "MAC-MAC-NULL".
>      I don't know if anyone ever needs to specify it, though.

Nice catch, but it was intentional. MAC-NULL cannot be set in TLS (there
are no ciphersuites with such MAC).

>   2. Commit 8d69e1bd9e61cc0b390ca987fd66ec2aad9c0d3c
>      states that it adds elliptic curve SECP512R1,
>      but it actually adds "SECP521R1". 512 != 521.
>      Either the comment or the code is wrong.

It's a typo on the commit message. The curve is 521 bits long.

>   3. All "...-ALL" accept any extra suffix
>      (not containing a colon). In other words,
>      "CURVE-ALLISON" is the same as "CURVE-ALL",
>      as the "...-ALL..." are checked before the
>      more specific ones.
>      In practice, any name starting with "ALL"
>      is impossible to specify.

I think that this could be easily changed, or not?

> The BNF for specifying a priority string:

Looks correct to me.

An interesting use for your BNF description would be to be used to check
the current priority parsing code. That would be if there is a tool that
takes BNF and outputs valid random strings.