[gnutls-devel] multiple clients in one process (was: Re: Deployment ... Re: This working group has failed)

Patrick Pelletier code at funwithsoftware.org
Wed Nov 20 06:05:54 CET 2013

On 11/19/13, 11:35 AM, Andy Lutomirski wrote:

>   - Support multiple clients in the same process linked against the same
> library without causing those clients to interfere with each other
> (hello, GnuTLS).

What's the issue that GnuTLS has with this?  I'm more familiar with the
issue OpenSSL has, namely that it requires threading callbacks to be
set, so each client in the same process is going to be stomping on the
same set of global callbacks.  I'd thought GnuTLS was better about
global state, but maybe there's something I've missed.

Also, I thought Botan wasn't good on this point either, since it
requires a LibraryInitializer object to be created, and (I thought) it
doesn't support more than one LibraryInitializer existing at once.

--Patrick