[gnutls-devel] SSL certificate validation bugs in GnuTLS

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Wed Feb 12 16:38:53 CET 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Suman Jana <suman at cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are computer security researchers at UT Austin and UC Davis, currently
> testing
> several SSL/TLS implementations as part of a research project. When testing
> GnuTLS,
> we discovered the following security issues related to SSL/TLS certificate
> validation.
> Some of them may be deliberate violations of the X.509 standard, others
> appear to be
> bugs.

Hello,
 Thank you for the report. Comments inline;

> As far as we know, none of them is documented.

Please feel free to provide patches to improve documentation. That is
the essence of free software.

> 1. v1 CA certificates should be rejected by default unless validated by
> external means but GnuTLS accepts it.

You are correct. This is a bug in current code.

> As shown in the code above, after a root v1 certificate has been accepted, to
> prevent
> any further v1 certificates from being accepted, GnuTLS clears the
> GNUTLS_VERIFY_ALLOW
> _X509_V1_CA_CRT flag before calling _gnutls_verify_certificate2. However, the
> _gnutls_
> verify_certificate2 function accepts v1 certificates unless a different flag,
> GNUTLS_VERIFY_
> DO_NOT_ALLOW_X509_V1_CA_CRT is set. But the caller
> (_gnutls_x509_verify_certificate)
> never sets that flag.

Nice trace of the issue. I've now fixed it in the repository.

> 2. Path length constraints in CA certs should be enforced. GnuTLS ignores
> Path length constraints.

Which version of gnutls did you use? GnuTLS supports path length
constraints for quite some time now.

> 3. Name constraints in CA certs should be enforced. GnuTLS ignores name
> constraints.

I believe that you haven't read RFC5280 :) GnuTLS will support name
constraints when there is a reasonable profile defined. As it is now,
the PKIX name constraints are a mess.

> 4. keyUsage and extendedKeyUsage extensions in CA and leaf certificates
> should be checked
> correctly. GnuTLS does not check any of them.

We used to check them (the keyUsage) and people were reporting it as a
bug. See: http://www.gnutls.org/faq.html#key-usage-violation
Since the keyusage is set by system administrators who have no idea
what should go there, there is no much point in enforcing it
(especially when no-else does and your software looks broken when it
is strict).

> 5. Certificate validation must fail if unknown critical extensions are
> present in the certificate
> but GnuTLS accepts certificates with unknown critical extensions.

That is from the time when there was a single company that controlled
most of the available software generating certificate. It would have
been very easy for them to lock out gnutls if we have supported this
rule. I may reconsider if there is any real issue.