[gnutls-devel] crash inside of wrap_nettle_rnd?

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Wed Feb 12 23:21:41 CET 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
<nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:
> Hello Jason,
>  Unfortunately these backtraces don't provide much information. You'll
> need debugging symbols (most probably included in your distribution as a
> separate package). Also the version of gnutls being used is important.
> It would be best to try with the latest released version.

This occurs with 3.2.10. I believe it also occurred with 3.2.9. I'll
recompile with more debug granularity (I'm on gentoo hardened) and
report back.

> However, the only reason for a mutex call to fail is if the mutex isn't
> initialized. Is gnutls_global_init() executed successful in the program
> you use?

gnutls_global_init is executed.

What's interesting is that the error only happens when weechat loads
the python plugin. I'm not too familiar how the python plugin works
internally, but I imagine it's possible it spawns a thread. Could
there be some situation in which all new threads also need to call
gnutls_global_init? I'm speculating here, but maybe it has something
to do with this...