[gnutls-devel] SSL certificate validation bugs in GnuTLS

Antoine Delignat-Lavaud antoine at delignat-lavaud.fr
Tue Feb 18 00:46:41 CET 2014

Le 17/02/2014 13:51, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos a écrit :

>> That would be nice to be enabled by default anyway. I have had hard time
>> to find a CA that uses that though. Anyway I'm working on an API to get
>> and set this extension's data so you could use that (not committed yet).
>
> I've implemented this functionality in master, but not added it in the
> verification process.
> The only certificate in my trusted root which contained this extension had:
> 1. Marked it as non-critical (RFC5280 requires this is critical)
> 2. DNSNames listed in the wrong format (e.g., '.com' instead of 'com').
>
> So I'm still not sure whether this is something that should be checked
> by default.

The CA/B forum has made an exception to allow the use of a non-critical
name constraints extension because of poor implementation support in TLS
libraries. This is also one of the reasons why CAs are reluctant to
enable name constraints - thus if you are waiting for this feature to be
widely used before implementing it, it will never see the light of day.

Also, you'll find attached a list of CA certificates found in the wild
that use name constraints.

Best,

ADL