[gnutls-devel] Expected timeline for GnuTLS 3.3 to be declared stable

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sun Jul 6 19:16:31 CEST 2014

On Sun, 2014-07-06 at 18:29 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Hello,
> since Debian's next new stable release is beginning to take form (at
> least in deadlines) I am wondering what would be GnuTLS version to aim
> for.
> At the current timeline[1] I will need to have gnutls ready on November
> 5th, i.e. if things worked perfectly my last chance for uploading a
> new GnuTLS upstream version would be on October 26th. Given that
> things usually do not work perfectly when they need to the hard
> deadline is probably more like October 15th.
> I would like to try for latest GnuTLS stable and am therefore
> wondering about GnuTLS 3.3 release plans. Do you know when it might be
> declared stable?

Hello Andreas,
 The plan is to make it stable as soon as possible. No new features that
require significant changes will be included, and my plan is to have it
replace 3.2 by end of summer.

> (It is probably a little bit early for asking this, since currently we
> are trying to move to 3.2 from 2.12.)

There shouldn't be any issue with the move to 3.3 from 3.2.

Out of curiosity, what is the major obstacle from abolishing 2.12? Don't
programs compile out of the box with 3.2?