[gnutls-devel] Emacs 24, 25, and future integration of GnuTLS 2.x vs. 3.x

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Wed Nov 26 21:42:01 CET 2014

On 11/26/2014 12:25 PM, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Emacs 24 supports GnuTLS 2.x. We plan to continue that support in Emacs
> 25 (master branch of the new Emacs Git repo) but will revisit 2.x
> support and possibly remove it with Emacs 26. Partly that's driven by
> the state of GnuTLS 2.x vs. 3.x support in Debian Stable and other
> distribution, and partly by the burden of supporting the older versions
> that lack many useful features.

I strongly recommend switching to 3.x as soon as possible, and not
committing long-term to anything in the 2.x series.

If you care about debian stable, Jessie will not have 2.x at all, and
3.x is well-supported in wheezy-backports already.

> I wanted to ask here if there are any scenarios we should beware with
> supporting 2.x, especially as far as user risk and exposure to exploits.
> What about introduced features, should we support them by version or by
> a feature-specific ifdef?

I don't think 2.x is receiving much upstream attention at all right now.

	--dkg