[gnutls-devel] disabling SSL 3.0 by default in 3.4.0

Peter Williams home_pw at msn.com
Thu Oct 16 17:12:22 CEST 2014

last email, on a non topic.

Why the “rush” now  - when there was no imperative last month to disable sslv3 (when the same class of attack on steam based cbc-modes existed, same traffic levels (almost zero), same level of noted web-exploitation (none))? Answer! Because cybercommand is calling the shots, and running a drill!

anyway, its good that folk know generally realize that certain US defense and national security vendors (or their civilian proxies), who contributed to SSL v3 20 years ago, did so with FULL KNOWLEDGE of what they were doing.

One should assume it goes on today, with the same intensity - doing whatever it takes to subvert commodity-upgrade crypto at the design or more likely the implementation level. And that starts with subverting the leadership folk (what’s new!)

One might wish to chat to cisco engineers, who were “required” to alter the router’s key management protocol, which consisted of layered signed and encrypted PKCS7 APDUs, over ssl v3 for anti-replay; for a good case study of crypto subversion using cbc-exploits similar to those “suddenly” used against ssl v3. What’s worse, “for compatibility”, it now comes with WINDOWS SERVER… Of course, one REALLY wants it applied to key management (vs. cat picture downloading). If you go log searching for historical exploit evidence, start there (not on cat downloading sites).

But, now I’m preaching on CBC, so I stop.  Its all “commodity crypto”, and thus a toy to make folk feel good.

Sent from Windows Mail