[gnutls-devel] Symbol versioning in gnutls broken -> crashes

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Sep 15 15:49:05 CEST 2014

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
<nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:
> I'm wondering whether there is some way to transition to a new ABI
> without breaking the old one. I'll try to see whether the ld script
> allows such move.

Ok, it seems that adding a new VERSION section with all the symbols in
the beginning of libgnutls.map, makes the default symbols to be the
new, but also exposes the old ones. So we can have a slow migration to
a new ABI, in the 3.4.0 release. However, That is not really
documented in [0], and I wonder whether we can rely on that.

[0]. https://sourceware.org/binutils/docs/ld/VERSION.html#VERSION