[gnutls-devel] OpenSSL Library Call Redirection, OpenPGP, DANE

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat Jan 24 23:07:17 CET 2015

Coyo writes:

> My understanding of external library calls is severely limited, but my
> understanding is that there's such a thing as DLL/SO injection, which
> renames the library and then places an imposter library in its place so
> that calls to that library are intercepted, and either handled by the
> imposter or transparently forwarded to the real library.
>
> This happens all of the time in the PC gaming world, and is a critical
> tool in cheating on multiplayer games. It is a method to manipulate the
> game client's internal binary logic.
>
> It follows logically that such a technique SHOULD be possible with
> OpenSSL, NSS and GnuTLS.

Sure it's theoretically possible. Now, the only thing needs to happen is for
someone to write something like this.

>                          It may be that there are wrappers or special
> programs or tools that already do this, but I am unaware of any that
> work universally.
>
> Are calls to OpenSSL standardized in some what? Could a simple symlink work?

No.

OpenSSL and GnuTLS are completely different APIs. They work in completely
different manner, in countless different ways. You can't just substitute one
library for another.

I've written client code that uses both OpenSSL and GnuTLS. What you
describe is theoretically possible, of course. But someone would have to
write a lot of code to implement a translation layer between OpenSSL and
GnuTLS. I hazily remember hearing about some light translation layer
somewhere, that reimplements a very tiny subset of the OpenSSL API using
GnuTLS, but code had to be explicitly recompiled against it.