[gnutls-devel] TLS connection improperly terminated

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Wed Jul 29 20:18:21 CEST 2015

> Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 21:13:25 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org>
> Cc: rustompmody at gmail.com, bugs at gnutls.org
>
> > From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <dkg at fifthhorseman.net>
> > Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz at gnu.org>, bugs at gnutls.org
> > Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 13:58:27 -0400
> >
> > > However the point to be noted is that I get a list of packages alright.
> > > So I dont know what you mean by "connection failed"
> >
> > presumably the list of packages available at each repository is fetched
> > over a TLS connection (if you used https).  If the connection to the
> > repository fails (due to TLS or other failures) this is what the warning
> > is about.
>
> The connection to marmalade doesn't fail.
>
> > > Is the list the full list? Ive no idea
> >
> > that sounds like an issue for emacs folks, more than for gnutls folks,
> > as long as gnutls is properly reporting the failure up to emacs.
> >
> > > AFAIK the message looks (semi)bogus
> > > If list there should be no message (at least not this one)
> > > If message there should be no list
> >
> > are you sure there are no other package sources available?
>
> Each package is shown with its source, and quite a few of them are
> from marmalade, so the connection to marmalade seems to have
> succeeded, and the data was probably successfully retrieved.

Moreover, with almost exactly the same version of GnuTLS and the same
version of Emacs, I succeed to fetch the list of packages from
marmalade on my system, without any error messages.  The only
significant differences between my system and Rustom's are (1) the OS,
and (2) the trusted certificates stored on the system.  Maybe also the
network configuration, although I'm not sure how that could come into
play.

HTH