[gnutls-devel] moving to gitlab

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Mar 5 17:49:31 CET 2015

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org> skribis:

> On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org> wrote:
>>> Nevertheless, if issue that you are trying to bring up is lock-in,
>>> given that the main software we rely on is git and not the fancy web
>>> interfaces, we can easily switch to another provider on the spot, as we
>>> do now with gitorious.
>> Exactly.  In that sense, moving back to Savannah would seem OK: it
>> doesn't have the "fancy web interfaces," but it has the things GnuTLS
>> cares about.  WDYT?
>
> Savannah is not an option. As long as Stallman claims that he owns
> gnutls and I should fork it, I'm not moving the project to
> GNU-controlled servers.

GNU, the FSF, and Stallman are three different entities.

Savannah is host to many non-GNU software projects.  The FSF (not GNU;
GNU is not a registered non-profit or anything) provides servers and
sysadmin time to Savannah as a public service.  Neither the FSF nor the
GNU project has a say on what these projects do; the only requirement is
that they be free software projects.

It would be sad to end up promoting a proprietary tool because of a
misunderstanding.

Anyway, your call.

Ludo’.