[gnutls-devel] Automatic library initialization

Tim Ruehsen tim.ruehsen at gmx.de
Tue Nov 10 16:23:02 CET 2015

Hi,

an executable, dynamically linked with GnuTLS, automatically calls
gnutls_global_init(). And thus (in my case) eats up 60x more CPU cycles than
needed.
The executable only needs GnuTLS under some conditions (TLS connection
requested). In this case it 'manually' calls gnutls_global_init().

Is there a ./configure option (or similar) that the packagers should/could use
to avoid that automatic initialization ? Or anything I can do when
compiling/linking the executable ?

I would like to understand, what is going on here.
I am on Debian SID amd64, GnuTLS version 3.3.18-1.

Best Regards,

	Tim Rühsen