[gnutls-devel] Automatic library initialization

Andrew W. Nosenko andrew.w.nosenko at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 22:50:00 CET 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav at gnutls.org>
wrote:

> won't
> >> I'll then include it in 3.4.x and 3.3.x releases.
> > First at all, IMHO, _current_ API, which eliminates requirement to call
> > explicitly some init function is a good.  And the "old-style API" with
> > requirement to call some init function before any thread and/or child
> > processes will be forked, which you want to resurrect, is a bad.
>
> I believe you misunderstood the intention. There will be a way for
> certain applications to disable the "automatic" initialization.
> Otherwise, all other applications and libraries will take advantage of
> that, and need not to call gnutls_global_init().

I understood the intention.  Just a solution is fragile, if my assumption
is correct.
Assumption: library can inadvertently or intentionally define "hard"
symbol.  It will overplay the weak symbol in GnuTLS.  It affects the whole
process, not the only library, which set that symbol.  So, we have library,
which functioning as intended (or not, it depends), and all other pieces of
process, which are damaged.

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew.w.nosenko at gmail.com>