[gnutls-devel] Automatic library initialization

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Nov 23 11:23:29 CET 2015

On Mon, Nov 16, 2015 at 5:24 PM, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
<nmav at gnutls.org> wrote:
>> Brilliant idea. I'll use it for my projects... but other projects won't
>> benefit immediately (they first have to know).
> I'll then include it in 3.4.x and 3.3.x releases.

It was included in the 3.4.x and 3.3.x releases, but this option must
be used with extreme care. Even though you may know where in your
application gnutls usage starts, you may not know whether some library
that you use will use it. You may not know for example that getpwnam()
will end up requiring to call gnutls in some setups. For that it
should not be used lightly as you'll rediscover the bugs that the
initialization to constructor was solving.