[gnutls-devel] TCP Fast Open

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Mon Jul 25 15:25:02 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Tim Ruehsen <tim.ruehsen at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 9:28:28 AM CEST Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 5:33 PM, Tim Ruehsen <tim.ruehsen at gmx.de> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I just wanted to mention that I recently added TFO in Wget2 using GnuTLS
>> > (tested on Linux, speedup ~ 1xRTT).
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>  That sounds great. Did you combine that with other optimizations such
>> as session resumption and false start?
> I just did combine TFO with False Start in wget2 - and yes, it is another
> 1xRTT speedup !

What do you think about this separation of the fast open code?
https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/commit/448af51f6a745fc1b9a2f68bce09adc3d28d3edc

When the fastopen() function is used, all the push and pull callbacks
are overridden with the ones that can cope with the TCP fast open.
This separates the two code bases.

What I found hard with TCP fast open, is error recovery. That has to
be implemented by checking errors of the gnutls_handshake() function.