[gnutls-devel] gnutls 3.5.6

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 13:46:39 CET 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 01:32:56PM +0100, Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 11:30 AM, Daniel P. Berrange
> <berrange at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> Any suggestions on how to mitigate that? Would a global flag to revert
> >> the library behavior and generate compatibility DNs be sufficient?
> > A global flag feels rather dirty for something that's in a library, as
> > an app linking to 2 libraries both in turn using gnutls, may have
> > conflicting desires for the state of the global flag.
> > I'm guessing just reverting to the old behaviour unconditionally is out
> > of the question ? Personally I would have added a new API to request the
> > changed behaviour, so apps wanting new behaviour can know for sure that
> > they're getting it rather than silently getting different behaviour
> > based on the version of gnutls they link to.
>
> Maybe that makes sense. Maybe I should introduce new functions which
> obtain the textual DN which accept a flag to switch behavior (compat
> or default), and the old functions stay as wrappers to the new with
> the compat flag set. That will address both the need for the standard
> compliant version, and breaking the existing behavior. I'll try to
> schedule that for the next 3.5.x release.

Ok, that works for me. Lemme know if you want me to test anything
prior to release to confirm the behaviour.

> > If you don't want to change gnutls, then is it safe for libvirt to
> > simply split the string on ',' and reverse the pieces to reassemble
> > the original ordering ?
>
> Could also be, but in addition to not being simple (due to escaping
> etc), if you used the string that way, other applications may have
> done too, thus it would affect more than just libvirt. Addressing it
> in gnutls makes sense.

Yes, in fact QEMU is affected too - mostly because I wrote the same
DN checking code for QEMU and libvirt :-)

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|