[gnutls-devel] gnutls 3.5.5

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Sat Oct 22 14:57:29 CEST 2016

On Sat, 2016-10-22 at 11:58 +0200, Andreas Metzler wrote:

> > My expectation was that few software will check for equality with
> > zero,
> > mainly due to the examples which use the <0 pattern, and that even
> > if
> > they did, the fact that the first certificate index would be zero,
> > will
> > mitigate any issue (most applications load a single certificate).
> >
> > Do you think this is going to cause issues? Most likely we can
> > still
> > revert the change by introducing a flag in
> > gnutls_certificate_set_flags() which can enable the behavior of
> > returning indexes, instead of returning them by default.
> Hello,
>
> I have just started browsing over
> <https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=gnutls_certificate_set_%5B%5E
> +%5D*key>.
> While checking for ret < 0 is common some software does not:

Thank you for checking that. Maybe in that case we should explicitly
enable returning indexes. An idea is to make:
gnutls_certificate_set_flags(cred, GNUTLS_CERTIFICATE_API_V2);

and then all the gnutls_certificate_set_*key will return indexes
instead of zero.

That would be an inconvenience, but it may be better to keep the API
identical to prevent such issues.