[gnutls-devel] symbol and library versioning

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos n.mavrogiannopoulos at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 10:31:28 CEST 2017

Hi,
 With mind in the upcoming 3.6.0 release I tried to codify/clarify the
library and symbol versioning rules that are considered best practice
today.

The output is at:
https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#symbol-and-library-versioning

My take-away from it, is that the complexity of libtool rules is
unnecessary and in fact all that is being used from it is the major
soname version (thus the minor and patch versions set via libtool are
being used by no software).

The versioning that matters is via the linker script, which is then
used by packaging software like rpm (I guess possibly dpkg as well),
to detect proper dependencies.

Did I miss something in that? Are there are best practices I missed,
or any issues in the rules I set above?