[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS 3.5.8 testsuite error on test-strverscmp

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Fri Feb 3 23:33:18 CET 2017

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:16 PM, Antonio Diaz Diaz <antonio at gnu.org> wrote:
> Hello Nikos et al, :-)
>
> While testing gnutls-3.5.8 on a 32-bit GNU/Linux system with glibc-2.5 and
> gcc-4.1.2, I got the following error:

> ../../build-aux/test-driver: line 107: 17413 Aborted "$@" >$log_file 2>&1
> FAIL: test-strverscmp
>
> I think this error is caused by a bug in glibc, but as gnutls checks libc
> functions, it would be nice to mention in INSTALL or README the oldest
> version of glibc known to work.

Hi Antonio,
 That seems like an issue in the gnulib test suite rather than (the
actual) gnutls'. As this function is not used by gnutls, you can
ignore this test. Not sure if we can disable it in the included
gnulib, but if you know a way I'd appreciate a patch, I'm not an avid
gnulib user.

> I also got a lot of warnings. I attach the full logs for 'make' and 'make -k
> check', but I list here some of the most interesting warnings:

> cc1: warning: command line option "-Wabi" is valid for C++/ObjC++ but not
> for C
> cc1: warning: command line option "-Wdeprecated" is valid for
> C++/Java/ObjC++ but not for C
>
> In file included from ./../str.h:30,
>                  from ./../gnutls_int.h:251,
>                  from common.c:24:
> ./../../gl/c-ctype.h:170: warning: no previous prototype for 'c_isalnum'
> [-Wmissing-prototypes]

That seems like a gnulib issue again. That function is provided by gnulib.

> In file included from common.c:34:
> ./../extras/hex.h: In function 'hex_data_size':
> ./../extras/hex.h:69: warning: declaration of 'strlen' shadows a global
> declaration [-Wshadow]
> /usr/include/string.h:243: warning: shadowed declaration is here [-Wshadow]

Thanks, fixed.

> decoding.c: In function 'asn1_get_length_der':
> decoding.c:121: warning: comparison of unsigned expression < 0 is always
> false

Again a gnulib thing, but in that case more hard to fix. As this is a
macro supposed to be used with signed and unsigned expressions, I'm
not sure we can avoid that.

> keydb.c: In function 'keydb_find_byusage':
> keydb.c:795: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
> keydb.c:804: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
>
> read-packet.c: In function 'read_attribute':
> read-packet.c:479: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned
> read-packet.c:479: warning: signed and unsigned type in conditional
> expression

OpenPGP related code. To be removed rather than fixed.

> sysrng-linux.c: In function 'have_getrandom':
> sysrng-linux.c:68: warning: unused variable 'c' [-Wunused-variable]
>
> system/fastopen.c: In function 'tfo_writev':
> system/fastopen.c:112: warning: label 'connect_only' defined but not used
> system/fastopen.c:79: warning: unused variable 'on' [-Wunused-variable]

On certain code for old systems I optimized readability of code as
opposed to making sure that variables are always used.

> mktime.c: In function 'mktime_internal':
> mktime.c:355: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of
> data type
> mktime.c:355: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of
> data type

Again, gnulib issue, related to macros that work for multiple variables.