[gnutls-devel] Interaction between TLS session resumption and the OCSP must-staple certificate extension

TJ Saunders tj at castaglia.org
Wed Jun 28 01:43:00 CEST 2017

> > If we are to ignore the ClientHello extensions for a resumed session,
> > then we would not send the stapled OCSP response.  The RFC 6066 Section
> > 1.1 text, in my reading, says that the ServerHello emitted by the TLS
> > server, for a resumed session, MUST NOT contain any of the TLS
> > extensions -- and this would include the stapled OCSP response.  That
> > is, the ServerHello of the resumed session must be different; it is not
> > described as being a "replay" of the original ServerHello.
>
> The stapled OCSP reponse is sent in a separate CertificateStatus
> handshake packet, it is not part even part of the ServerHello.

True, but if we are not to include the "status_request" extension in the
ServerHello (because we are ignoring the "status_request" extension in
the ClientHello, because it's a resumed session), then we should not
send the CertificateStatus message; the client would not know to look
for a CertificateStatus message unless there is also the
"status_request" extension in the ServerHello.

Cheers,
TJ