[gnutls-devel] valgrind-tests vs full-test-suite

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos nmav at gnutls.org
Tue Mar 14 13:41:01 CET 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This actually disables valgrind in non-git but I do not see any reason
>>> to do so as valgrind is supported in some other tests. If I disable
>>> the full-tests-suite then I can enjoy valgrind extra tests.
>>> Any reason why we condition this?
>>
>> If I remember well, the reason this was introduced was to avoid test
>> suite failures due to leaks or other issues in unrelated libraries on
>> the released version. E.g., if you try to compile the latest release
>> of gnutls in a system which has a libc with a leak, you wouldn't have
>> the test suite fail because of that.
>
> The valgrind tests may be enabled or disabled.

That's true but we have them enabled by default, so builds would fail
for that reason and that would create more noise in the list.

> In release tarball there is no full-suite.
> The result is that valgrind cannot be enabled unless the non-existence
> full-suite is disabled...
> So I do not think this logic is required.

That's true, but I am afraid of the issue above (when this was added
was specifically to avoid such reports from the list). It should be
combined with another change that makes valgrind not to run by default
on releases.