[gnutls-devel] gnutls-cli vs service name

Thomas Klute thomas2.klute at uni-dortmund.de
Sun May 7 12:40:00 CEST 2017

Am 07.05.2017 um 03:03 schrieb Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos:
> On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 6:41 PM, James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> wrote:
>> I tried to use gnutls-cli to test out my xmpp server, but was unable to
>> do so because the --starttls-proto=xmpp support uses the server name in
>> the jabber:client bit of xml rather than a service name.
>>
>> And the server vs service issue is more generic.  All of the SRV protos
>> of course require supplying both service and server, but even https can
>> need both, such as when testing a new server before switching the A RRs.
>>
>> How do you feel about a --service-name option?  Or maybe just --service?
>
> Would that be useful on any other option than xmpp? If it is only
> related with xmpp, would the option of using
> --starttls-proto=xmpp:service work?

I don't use gnutls-cli with STARTTLS, I but would like to have a similar
feature to set the host name for SNI, e.g. for testing HTTPS servers
with name based virtual hosts. If I want to test such a server at the
moment, I have to make sure that gnutls-cli can actually resolve the
virtual host names I want to use in a way that points to the test
system. Something like

  gnutls-cli --sni-host=test.example.com -p 443 ::1

would be very helpful.

Regards,
Thomas