[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Clarify semantics for our supported releases (#651)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Tue Dec 18 09:53:12 CET 2018

New Issue was created.

Issue 651: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/651
Author:    Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Assignee:

Given that our defacto LTS release (3.3.x) is expiring in march 2019, I'd like to make a proposal for further clarifying our current release message:
 1. We will have a release branch supported for 2 years, tagged as *LTS* (long-term-support); there can be only one such branch
 2. We may have a release branch continuously updated which is tagged as *next*.

When the support time for current *LTS* release expires, either it is extended for another two years or the *next* branch becomes *LTS*.

Properties of the *LTS* release branch:
 - Periodic releases will be made during that time on a bi-monthly basis (could be skipped if no significant changes are accumulated),
 - Features can enter that release according to the rules in `Introducing new features / modifying behavior` from !816.
 - Security fixes will enter that release if above the severity level high according to CVSS; may enter on moderate or lower.
 - No incompatible ABI or API changes
 - New features added when deemed important but do not modify the default behavior (more details will be in CONTRIBUTIONS.md)

Properties of the *next* release branch:
 - No incompatible ABI or API changes (see CONTRIBUTIONS.md) for details; unless there is a wide agreement/consensus for ABI breakage
 - When the ABI breaks the current LTS release expiration is renewed to maximum, to allow time to distributions to migrate
 - The default behavior of the library can be change, as long as the changes are included in the documentation (section upgrade of manual)