[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | Clarify semantics for our supported releases (#651)
Development of GNU's TLS library
gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Tue Dec 18 09:53:12 CET 2018
New Issue was created.
Issue 651: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/651
Author: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Given that our defacto LTS release (3.3.x) is expiring in march 2019, I'd like to make a proposal for further clarifying our current release message:
1. We will have a release branch supported for 2 years, tagged as *LTS* (long-term-support); there can be only one such branch
2. We may have a release branch continuously updated which is tagged as *next*.
When the support time for current *LTS* release expires, either it is extended for another two years or the *next* branch becomes *LTS*.
Properties of the *LTS* release branch:
- Periodic releases will be made during that time on a bi-monthly basis (could be skipped if no significant changes are accumulated),
- Features can enter that release according to the rules in `Introducing new features / modifying behavior` from !816.
- Security fixes will enter that release if above the severity level high according to CVSS; may enter on moderate or lower.
- No incompatible ABI or API changes
- New features added when deemed important but do not modify the default behavior (more details will be in CONTRIBUTIONS.md)
Properties of the *next* release branch:
- No incompatible ABI or API changes (see CONTRIBUTIONS.md) for details; unless there is a wide agreement/consensus for ABI breakage
- When the ABI breaks the current LTS release expiration is renewed to maximum, to allow time to distributions to migrate
- The default behavior of the library can be change, as long as the changes are included in the documentation (section upgrade of manual)
Reply to this email directly or view it on GitLab: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/issues/651
You're receiving this email because of your account on gitlab.com.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gnutls-devel